Editor’s Note: Since we first published this article back in 2017, the meal delivery landscape has changed. Though mentioned as Blue Apron rivals in our original post, Plated and Peach Dish have since gone out of business. Much of Blue Apron’s competition remains the same, though a few new services are vying for customers’ attention. Below we outline the ten primary meal delivery companies that compete with Blue Apron as of May 2020. These services follow Blue Apron’s cook-and-eat meal kit model.
If you love cooking, but don’t love meal planning or frequenting the grocery store, then a meal kit subscription service might interest you. Blue Apron was somewhat of a pioneer in the meal delivery space, as it was one of the first companies in the American market to start shipping fresh ingredients and easy-to-follow recipes to customers. Although Blue Apron is a great option, there are several other services available that may work better for your family’s needs.
Top 10 Blue Apron Alternatives
|Blue Apron Alternative||Starting Price||Summary|
|Gobble||$ 11.99||Choose a plan with three or four dinners per week and two or four servings per meal.|
|Green Chef||$ 9.99||With the 2-person plan, get three dinners for two people per box; with the 4-person plan, get two dinners for four people per box.|
|Hello Fresh||$ 7.49||With the 2-person plan, receive between 2-5 recipes per week; with the 4-person plan, receive two or three recipes per week.|
|Purple Carrot||$ 9.99||The 2-serving plan comes with three dinners per week, and the 4-serving plan comes with two dinners per week. Add breakfasts, lunches, and snacks to either plan as needed.|
|Home Chef||$ 9.95||Choose a plan for 2, 4, or 6 people, with 2-6 meals per week.|
|Marley Spoon||$ 6.99||Plans for 2 or 4 people, with 2-4 meals per week.|
|One Potato||$ 7.32||Choose a plan with 2 or 3 dinners per week and between 2-6 servings per meal (this plan is excellent for larger families!).|
|Sun Basket||$ 10.99||Choose a plan with 2, 3, or 4 dinners per week and 2 or 4 servings per meal.|
|EveryPlate||$ 4.99||The 2-person plan includes 2-4 recipes per week; the 4-person plan includes three recipes per week.|
|Dinnerly||$ 4.29||The 2-person box includes 3-6 recipes per week; the family box (4 servings) includes 3-6 recipes per week.|
15-minute homecooked meals made from pre-prepped ingredients, with fast clean-up
When we initially tried the Blue Apron delivery service, our biggest gripes were the prep time each recipe entailed and the resulting piles of dirty dishes. With some meals, it felt as if we had used every single pot, pan, and cutting board in our kitchen in our hour-long quest to create a homecooked meal. After enjoying our food, it always felt somewhat defeating having to turn to our overflowing sink to finish the clean-up. Not so with Gobble. This meal kit promises and delivers 15-minute meals using just one pan. Choose from 14 easy-to-make, delicious recipes each week, and if you’re living the low carb/keto life, be sure to check out Gobble’s Lean & Clean options.
- Meal Plan Summary: Choose a plan with three or four dinners per week and two or four servings per meal.
- Price: Starting at $11.99 per serving.
- Delivery Area: Gobble delivers everywhere in the contiguous U.S., except for Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Nebraska. The newer lunch subscription service is not yet available in Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Wyoming.
- Promo Code: Get 50% off + FREE shipping on your first order. Click here to apply this offer!
2. Green Chef
Organic meal kit that works for a range of dietary preferences
For those looking for a meal delivery service that caters to nutritional choices, Green Chef is the way to go. Green Chef offers a variety of lifestyle-specific meal plans, including keto, paleo, and plant-powered (vegan/vegetarian) options, along with “balanced living” and family-friendly plans. Additionally, Green Chef uses exclusively USDA certified organic ingredients that are free of harmful pesticides, GMOs, and preservatives. This organic meal delivery service designs its menu around recipes that are ready in about 30 minutes using prepped ingredients and pre-made sauces. Thanks to time-conscious meal prep, you can spend less time cooking and more time enjoying your food. With dishes like Shaved Steak with Creamy Herb Sauce and Honey-Mustard Pork Tenderloins, you’re sure to enjoy the Green Chef experience.
- Meal Plan Summary: With the 2-person plan, get three dinners for two people per box; with the 4-person plan, get two dinners for four people per box.
- Price: Starting at $9.99 per serving (for the plant-powered plan).
- Delivery Area: Green Chef delivers everywhere in the contiguous U.S., except for parts of Louisiana.
- Promo Code: Get $60 Off + FREE shipping with your first order. Click here to apply this offer!
3. Hello Fresh
Straightforward recipes for even the most novice of home chefs
This meal kit service is perfect for those who have yet to master gourmet techniques in the kitchen. Hello Fresh uses a team of in-house dieticians to create meals that are both delicious and healthy, while the test kitchen tries each recipe 45 times to ensure that each meal is straightforward (even for the most novice of home chefs). Recipe cards include simple step-by-step instructions, along with the nutrition facts for each meal. Select a plan based on your preferences – meat & veggies, veggie-only, or low-calorie – then choose your meals from the 20 or so options available on the weekly menu. “Hall of Fame” recipes include mouthwatering options like Salsa Verde Enchiladas, Beef Ragu Spaghetti, and Teriyaki Pork Luau Bowls. Most meals take about 20-40 minutes to prepare.
- Meal Plan Summary: With the 2-person plan, receive between 2-5 recipes per week; with the 4-person plan, receive two or three recipes per week.
- Price: Starting at $7.49/serving (for the 4-person plan).
- Delivery Area: Hello Fresh delivers everywhere in the contiguous U.S.
- Promo Code: Get $80 off + free shipping. Click here to apply this offer!
4. Purple Carrot
Exclusively plant-based meals
Purple Carrot is a plant-based meal delivery service, meaning that all recipes are 100 percent free of animal products. Ideal for vegetarians and vegans, as well as for those looking to eat clean, Purple Carrot dishes up delicious, innovative plant-based recipes like Barbecue Seitan and Warm Japanese Yam & Shiitake Salad. In addition to a weekly rotation of dinner recipes, Purple Carrot also offers breakfast, lunch, and snack options. Most dinner recipes take between 25-30 minutes to prepare, while less intensive breakfasts and lunches are ready in under 15 minutes. Prepackaged snacks from a variety of vegan snack companies, like Trail Truffles and 88 Acres, come ready-to-eat.
- Meal Plan Summary: The 2-serving plan comes with three dinners per week, and the 4-serving plan comes with two dinners per week. Add breakfasts, lunches, and snacks to either plan as needed.
- Price: Starting at $9.99/serving (for the 4-serving plan).
- Delivery Area: Purple Carrot delivers everywhere in the contiguous U.S.
- Promo Code: Get $30 off with the promo code carrot30. Click here to get started.
5. Home Chef
Flexible meal plans for people with varied routines
For busy people with routines that are less-than-routine, Home Chef offers a flexible meal delivery service that’s fully customizable. Though you’ll select an initial plan (see meal plan summary below), you can always add meals, edit servings, upgrade recipes, and more to make your delivery suit your needs for the upcoming week. Classic meals take between 25-60 minutes to prepare and include calorie-conscious, carb-conscious, and vegetarian options. If you’re short on time, choose from the Quick Meals recipes, which include both stovetop and oven-ready meals that are ready in under 15 minutes. You can also find grill-ready options and add smoothies or protein packs to your delivery.
- Meal Plan Summary: Choose a plan for 2, 4, or 6 people, with 2-6 meals per week.
- Price: Starting at $9.95 per serving.
- Delivery Area: Home Chef delivers to most of the contiguous U.S. Double check delivery to your zip code during the sign-up process. Home Chef also sells its meal kits in dozens of Kroger grocery stores across the country.
- Promo Code: Get $30 off when you subscribe. Click here to apply this offer!
6. Marley Spoon
For gourmands who dream of cooking like Martha Stewart
Domestic goddess Martha Stewart has partnered with Marley Spoon to create a gourmet meal kit that will make you feel like you are a wizard in the kitchen (no matter how much experience you have). Choose from 22 recipes each week, that span a variety of cuisines and cultures, from picks like Japanese BBQ Salmon and General Tso’s Tofu to All-American Cheddar Cheeseburgers with Coleslaw and Macaroni Salad. Recipes fall into one of five categories: Health & Diet, Vegetarian & Vegan, Meat & Fish, Under 30 Minutes, and Family-Friendly. With a multitude of options, you’re sure to find recipes you’ll love each week! This meal delivery service also offers protein packs, along with occasional recipes for holiday meals and sweet treats.
- Meal Plan Summary: Plans for 2 or 4 people, with 2-4 meals per week.
- Price: Starting at $6.99/serving.
- Delivery Area: Marley Spoon delivers to most of the contiguous U.S. You can double check availability in your area during the sign-up process.
- Promo Code: Click here to see the latest offer.
7. One Potato
Organic food delivery perfect for families of all sizes
Want to cook healthy meals the whole family will enjoy? One Potato is a certified organic meal delivery company that offers family-friendly meals that both kids and adults love. With One Potato, you can order a right-sized meal plan – the service offers plans for families of anywhere between two and six people. One Potato offers five rotating menu choices, alongside three permanent “family favorite,” no-fuss recipes that picky-eaters will enjoy (think burgers and tacos). If your family struggles with eating healthy breakfasts, you can also add up to ten smoothies to your order – flavors include Peanut Butter & Jelly, Piña Colada, and Samoa. Overall, One Potato is our #1 choice for families looking for an organic meal kit with wholesome ingredients.
- Meal Plan Summary: Choose a plan with 2 or 3 dinners per week and between 2-6 servings per meal (this plan is excellent for larger families!).
- Price: Starting at $7.32 per serving (for the 6-person family plan). Special child pricing too!
- Delivery Area: One Potato currently delivers to Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Washington (specific zip codes excluded), as well as parts of Montana and New Mexico.
- Promo Code: Use code FIRST20 at checkout for $20 off your first order.
8. Sun Basket
Organic meal kits from a James Beard chef catering to a range of dietary preferences
Sun Basket designs its meals around clean, organic produce, antibiotic- and hormone-free meat, and wild-caught seafood. Its organic meal plans cater to a variety of lifestyles, including Paleo, Gluten-free, Vegetarian, and Mediterranean, as well as a Lean & Clean (low-carb) option. The weekly menu has some twenty dinner options, from speedy, oven-ready recipes like Spicy Sichuan dan dan noodles with tofu and spinach to exotic recipes like chicken tagine with currants, spinach, and artichokes. You can also add-on ready-to-eat breakfasts and lunches, as well as assorted snacks, extra proteins, and pastas. Sun Basket truly has everything to help make healthy eating easier.
- Meal Plan Summary: Choose a plan with 2, 3, or 4 dinners per week and 2 or 4 servings per meal.
- Price: Starting at $10.99 per serving.
- Delivery Area: Sun Basket delivers everywhere in the contiguous U.S., except for parts of Montana, North Dakota, and New Mexico.
- Promo Code: Get $35 off + 4 free gifts. Click here to apply this discount.
Best value meal kit with meals starting at just $4.99 per serving
Looking for some meal prep assistance on a budget? EveryPlate delivers! This affordable, no-frills meal kit offers budget-friendly meals that help you get food on the table in less than 30 minutes. Each week, you can choose from 11 different 6-step recipes that take anywhere from 25-45 minutes to prepare. Look forward to selections like juicy Hotel Butter Steak with Crispy Potato Rounds & Green Beans Amandine or flavorful Carne Asada Fajitas with Pickled Onion & Lime Crema.
- Meal Plan Summary: The 2-person plan includes 2-4 recipes per week; the 4-person plan includes three recipes per week.
- Price: Starting at $4.99 per serving.
- Delivery Area: EveryPlate delivers to most of the contiguous U.S. To check availability in your area, enter your zip code at checkout.
- Promo Code: Get meals for just $3.99 per serving! Click here to apply this offer.
The cheapest meal kit available, with down-to-earth dishes you’ll love
Marley Spoon’s more affordable little sister, Dinnerly, is the cheapest meal kit on the market. By ditching the unnecessary bells and whistles of traditional meal delivery services, Dinnerly sends you everything you need to make delicious, filling dinners at a fraction of the cost. Choose from 14 dinner entrees each week ranging from kid-friendly, one-pot dishes like Skillet Ravioli “Lasagna” to more adventurous choices like Stir-Fried Curry Rice Noodles with Snow Peas. You can also add protein packs (shrimp, chicken, pork, and beef) to your box or find recipes for special occasions (like the Bacon-Cheddar Pinwheels and Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding with Brown Sugar Streusel offered for Mother’s Day).
- Meal Plan Summary: The 2-person box includes 3-6 recipes per week; the family box (4 servings) includes 3-6 recipes per week.
- Price: Starting at $4.29 per serving.
- Delivery Area: Dinnerly delivers to most of the contiguous U.S. To check delivery in your area, go to sign up, choose your box, and then enter your zip code.
- Promo Code: Click here to see the latest offer.